Deadline: February 28, 2020
Applications are invited for the MILEAD Fellows Program 2020 for Emerging African Women Leaders . The MILEAD Fellows Program is a long-term and paradigm-shifting leadership development program to identify, develop and promote a new generation of young African female leaders to attain and thrive in critical leadership across Africa.
The program targets dynamic young women interested in developing transformational leadership skills that help them address issues facing women and girls across communities in Africa. The MILEAD Program equips Fellows with the world class knowledge, skills, values and support systems they need to succeed as 21st century women leaders.
The MILEAD Summer Institute
All selected fellows must commit their availability on full time basis for the 3-week residential summer institute from July 10 to August 2, 2020; and to participate in the rest of the program from their home country or country of residence.
Scholarships & Fees
- A limited number of selected candidates will receive full scholarship. The fee for the 2020 MILEAD Institute is $4,500 and covers travels, accommodation, tuition, all meals, site visits, local events, training materials and all program related costs.
- Moremi Initiative will ensure the participation of all selected candidates regardless of their financial situation. No qualified candidate will be denied participation due to financial need. However, due to the increasing demand for the programs, and for sustainability purposes, they are encouraging participants to approach local donors for partial sponsorship to meet their costs.
- Program benefits for selected candidates include:
- Fellows will gain excellent skills in leadership, activism, research, mentoring, public speaking and advocacy among others.
- National to global recognition as one of Africa’s most promising women leaders.
- Access to opportunities and resources for education, professional, leadership and personal development. Fellows are supported to enter into top Universities for further education.
- Knowledge of critical cutting-edge issues such as human rights concepts, women’s human rights, leadership concepts, gender equity and social justice.
- Upon successful completion of the program, fellows become automatic members of the Moremi Fellow’s Network.
- Long term Support:
Fellows’ achievements and initiatives are promoted through partner networks and the media for visibility and exposure.
- Fellows will have access to readily available Moremi Initiative mentors including some of the most outstanding African women leaders.
- Fellows are supported to implement personal community leadership projects on issues of importance to their peers, school, community or country.
- Applicant must be African, living on the continent or in the Diaspora;
- Be between 19 – 25 years of age;
- Agree to participate in all required activities related to MILEAD – beginning with a three-week residential Summer Institute in Ghana; and commit to a community change project.
- Selected Fellows are chosen based on a number of clearly defined criteria that include:
- Outstanding leadership qualities and promise.
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to social justice and women’s rights.
- Proven track record involvement and accomplishments in community service.
- Demonstrated high academic potential.
- A commitment to mentor younger girls and to implement a community project (MiCHANGE) that addresses a critical issue of importance facing their peers, women or their communities.
- Outstanding personal qualities, including openness to interpersonal/ multicultural experiences.
Please note that this one-year program is not a full-time fellowship. Selected candidates may remain full time students or work full time for the program duration, except during the 3–week summer institute. The 3-week summer institute is an intensive and full-time residential program and all fellows will be required to attend. The rest of the program involves community-based, online and other distance activities.
Completed application forms must be submitted along with a CV and two recommendation letters. All applications and supporting documents must be submitted via email.
Source: Opportunity Desk